Out of State

An incompetent person or minor residing in another state but owning property in North Carolina may need to have a guardian appointed in North Carolina for the purpose of selling North Carolina property. For example, a family who purchased a retirement home in North Carolina while maintaining ties or returning to live in their home in another state may find that an Ancillary Guardian is needed to sell their home in North Carolina.

The Ancillary Guardian is appointed to represent the interest of that out-of-state person before the Court in North Carolina. The Ancillary Guardian complies with all of the rules and is responsible for all accountings.  It is important to consult with an attorney familiar with the administration of guardianship estates if an Ancillary Guardianship is needed.



The Medicare program became law in 1966. Under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Medicare provides health insurance for persons over the age of 65, persons who are under 65 and disabled, persons with ALS-Lou Gehrig’s Disease and persons with End State Renal Disease (ESRD).